navigate the process + access decision makers + influence outcomes
Every day in Florida elected officials and government employees are debating issues that could profoundly impact the way you do business. Every legislative session, county commission or city council meeting is an opportunity for elected officials to change existing laws and regulations or make new ones.
We have spent decades building and nourishing relationships on both sides of the aisle, and our partners and associates have experience at high levels in government and politics. As a result, our firm has a broad scope of subject matter expertise and the relationship reach to access decision makers at every level. We use those relationships and our political know-how to produce successful outcomes.
We understand that our success is measured by your success, and we don’t rest until the job is done.
- Environmental Permitting
- Government Procurement
- Insurance Regulation
- Public & Private Partnerships
- Real Estate
- Telecom & Utilities
The firm’s environmental permitting expertise covers the entire state of Florida.
Our permitting work includes, but is not limited to:
• Developments of Regional Impact,
• Special district legislation,
• Water management district permits,
• Army Corps of Engineer permits,
• Multi-agency marina permits, and
• Federal Emergency Management Agency development waivers.
• Energy and Critical Infrastructure
In conjunction with permitting activities, our firm is highly knowledgeable in sea grass and wetland mitigation, regulatory compliance, inverse condemnation and real estate development market analysis.
We work with our clients to educate staff and elected officials as to best practices and the pros and cons of specific approaches or provisions of a competitive process, and we help our clients with the strategic approach and drafting of their responses.
Once a submittal takes place, we navigate the selection process and political process to put our clients in the best position to win.
Specific areas of expertise include, but are not limited to:
- State and federal legislative lobbying,
- Healthcare appropriations,
- Medicaid and Medicare regulatory compliance,
- Medicaid and Medicare financing,
- Provider and facility regulatory compliance, and
- Business development and strategic consulting.
Health care is one of the firm’s largest practice areas, and as a result, the firm’s expertise in health care issues is deep and diversified at both the state and federal level. The health care practice group is led by Jorge Chamizo, Patrick Maloy, Rich Koon and Brian May, all of whom have directly participated in every major legislative or regulatory initiative in the health care market since 1994.
The firm specializes in all lines of insurance, including but not limited to:
- Property Insurance,
- Private Passenger and Commercial Auto,
- Commercial Insurance,
- Workers Compensation,
- Medical Malpractice,
- Life Insurance,
- Health Insurance,
- Agent and Agencies, and
- Florida Office of Insurance Regulation,
- Florida Department of Financial Services,
- Florida Office of Financial Regulation,
- Citizens Property Insurance Corporation,
- Florida Hurricane Catastrophe Fund, and
- Other residual markets and guaranty funds.
These services include, but are not limited to:
- Rate and Form Filings,
- Company Formations,
- Insurer Capital Raises,
- Mutual Holding Company Formation,
- Re-domestication of Foreign Carriers,
- Mergers and Acquisitions,
- Market Conduct Examinations,
- Expansion of Lines of Business,
- Other Regulatory Matters Confronting Insurers,
- Unfair Trade Practices,
- Regulatory Rule Development, and
- Financial Examinations.
Whether it be in evaluating the political ramifications or understanding the nuances of a financing model or construction method, we work with our clients to best fit their product to the government need at hand.
Partner and attorney Jorge Chamizo is a former senior advisor to the Chairman of the Florida Public Service Commission and has unparalleled experience in the communications and energy areas.
Additionally, Jorge provides business development and marketing services to our communications clients. Together, the Floridian Partners’ Telecommunication and Utilities Team represent communication and utility clients before:
- the Florida Legislature,
- the Florida Cabinet,
- the Florida Public Service Commission,
- the Florida Dept. of Revenue,
- the Florida Dept. of Environmental Protection, &
- other state and local governmental agencies.
Our utilities and telecommunications professionals have a thorough understanding of the industry, the state and federal regulations that impact them, and have earned the trust and confidence of key staff and policymakers that allows us to tailor a result-producing legislative or regulatory strategy to meet the unique needs of a particular client.
Our team is knowledgeable on the latest trends and how they can best be applied to save money, generate revenue and improve services for the public sector, and the Floridian team is particularly well-experienced in the healthcare, transportation and public safety sectors.